I run a food blog. Crazy, right?
In case you weren’t aware, the title of my food blog is Cookies and Caitlyn. Why? Because I love cookies more than life itself. The recipe that started me on this baking journey over five years ago was a chocolate chip cookie recipe. More on that later…
The point is, I love cookies. Check out my Pinterest board, on which, I’ve pinned over 75 chocolate chip cookie recipes, all claiming to be “the best”. And like many bakers, I already had a recipe that I had developed, perfected, and swore by. But after making it oh so many times, It began to taste… boring. I was afraid to branch out; I felt like I’d be cheating on my favorite recipe. But I wanted cookies, like, yesterday, and these ones promised to be ready in under half an hour.
I was not disappointed.
They were a completely different look, taste, and texture than my usual go-to, but just as delicious, just in a different way. They weren’t overwhelmingly sweet- instead, there was a nice balance of salt to cut the sugar taste. I was able to appreciate the chocolate even more- it made me want more chips in each bite which, weirdly, is not something that happens to me a lot.
The dough was a little wetter than usual- the original recipe suggested that this was more of a dry dough, but I couldn’t handle it with my fingers- instead I used a tablespoon for a scoop, and a mini spatula to assist with getting it onto the baking sheet. I made some small cookies (1 to 1.5 tbsp size) and then some larger ones (2-3 tbsp) for giggles. All were delicious.
Underbaked cookies are the key here. They won’t look finished, but that’s what makes them so soft and decadent. If that’s not for you, just add a few more minutes to the bake time and you’ll be good. Our oven is a bit wonky, so we usually have to double the bake time. Just go with your gut.
These cookies will be a hit with your friends and family- don’t be surprised if someone asks your for the recipe- or even a second batch!
Until then, here’s a Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie, adapted from Pinch Of Yum!
Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 8 tablespoons of salted butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350ºF degrees. Line baking trays with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt butter in microwave. Butter should be melted, but not hot (Recommend nuking it at 15-second intervals to ensure this). In a large bowl of a stand mixer, or using a handheld mixer, beat butter, white sugar and brown sugar together until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and egg, and beat until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, and salt, and mix on medium-low speed until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop out 1.5-2 tablespoon-sized balls of dough, and place on baking sheet. Bake for ten minutes- Cookies will look underbaked- this is intentional. If they still look like dough, put them back in for two to three minutes. Let cool on pan for 30 minutes (I mean, I ate mine right away, but hey, if you have willpower…). Enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.