I know, I can’t believe I just typed that sentence either. But it’s true! These muffins will cure that craving for chocolate in no time- and for only 157 calories.
I was craving chocolate muffins one morning- like, badly. Like, I-need-a-chocolate-muffin-in-front-of-me-right-now badly. So I put on my improvising hat and went to work. Because I wanted not only a chocolate muffin- I wanted a healthy chocolate muffin (are you tired of the word muffin? Me too).
Most recipes that fell under the banner of healthy included greek yogurt or applesauce- all good things, but none of which I had on me. So, I turned to my trusty Banana Mini Muffins recipe and set to work.
NERD ALERT: The first difference was the size of the muffins. I don’t have a mini muffin tin, and one little bite-sized piece of chocolate wasn’t gonna do it for me. Next, I guesstimated how much cocoa powder to add to the dry mixture, and how I could balance that out with the wet ingredients so they didn’t get too dry. I went for 1/3 cup, and simply upped the buttermilk by 50%. (Looking back on it, I could have definitely added sour cream into the mixture to make them softer.) That kept the muffins soft without sacrificing flavor.
NERD ALERT OVER.
The chocolate chips are optio… oh, who am I kidding? They’re not optional, and you know it. Another delicious option would be to chop up some dark chocolate and throw it in there. Melty chunks of chocolate in a warm muffin? Be still my beating heart.
These are great as breakfast, snacks, or as a post-workout recovery. I’ll even include the nutrition info from SparkRecipes below. Happy baking!
Healthy Double Chocolate Muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- 1/3 cup tightly packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter, slightly cooled
- 1 medium banana, mashed
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup buttermilk (4 tbsp milk mixed with 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar works)
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray or line a 12-count muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners. Set aside.
2. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt butter in microwave. Set aside.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
4. In another bowl, whisk together brown sugar and egg until combined. Mix in the butter, banana, vanilla, and buttermilk. Mix the wets into the drys with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until just combined. Do not overmix.
5. Spoon batter evenly into the muffin tins, filling 3/4 way to the top. Bake for 15-18 minutes (Time may vary based on oven size). Muffins are done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Enjoy!